Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sweet and Sour Coleslaw

I don't like coleslaw. I apologize if I have offended anyone who does, but I find myself incapable of eating more than a tiny portion of shredded vegetables slathered in mayonnaise. This coleslaw, however, uses a vinegar-based dressing, so you can serve it as a vegetable instead of an absolutely disgusting side.

Sweet and Sour Coleslaw (from makeitbetter.net)
Serves 12 (it keeps for a week and is delicious on anything, so make the whole recipe)

Ingredients:


Dressing:

3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard

Coleslaw:

1 large cabbage head (green or red)
1 carrot
1 bell pepper (red or orange) or 5-6 small sweet peppers


Instructions:


Combine dressing ingredients in a medium saucepan.

Heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves–about 2-3 minutes.

Set aside to cool. Peel carrot and roughly chop all the vegetables.

Place vegetables into food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

Place in large bowl and pour dressing over it.

Cover and set in fridge for at least 8 hours, up to 24. Serve.



This coleslaw is wonderful. It is tangy from the vinegar, but the vinegar doesn't overwhelm it. The vegetables provide a nice crunch. The food processor shreds them all to the perfect size. Yes, this recipe does make a lot of coleslaw, but it keeps in the fridge for a week, so don't halve it. (Also, if you halve it, you wind up with a bunch of half-veggies laying around.) I've put the slaw on sandwiches and it's delicious. Thankfully, I haven't seen my brothers putting it in their cereal, although I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment