Sunday, July 8, 2012

Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins

Bored one Sunday morning, still suffering from the miserable failure of the Healthy Mug Cake from last night (coming soon!), I decided to make something sort of healthy (but still delicious) to give myself some confidence back. Since The Best Recipe is consistently amazing, I decided to peruse the pages and find something to make. I chose muffins since it was a Sunday morning and my brothers would be ravenous when they got back from their workout.
I apologize in advance for the terrible lighting in these photos. I'm trying to find the ideal lighting for food photography.


Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins (adapted from The Best Recipe):
Makes 12 large muffins or a heck of a lot of mini muffins
UPDATE: I made mini muffins this weekend. The recipe made 53 muffins using a heaping tablespoon of batter for each muffin. I thought I'd tell you since "a heck of a lot" isn't the most descriptive.

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Scant 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt (substitute 1 cup greek yogurt and 1/2 cup skim milk if you don't have plain yogurt)
2 large bananas, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
3/4-1 cup chocolate chips
12 muffin liners or vegetable cooking spray or unsalted butter


Instructions:

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 375 degrees.
Whisk both flours, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, roughly 2 minutes.
Why are the worst things for you so good?
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after adding each egg.
Beat in half the flour mixture.
Beat in one-third the yogurt.
Beat remaining dry ingredients and yogurt in two batches each, alternating. (Flour-yogurt-flour-yogurt.)
Fold in banana and chocolate chips.
Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray or coat each with butter or use muffin liners.
Divide batter evenly amongst cups. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes in tins, then remove from tin and serve.

The thing I love about The Best Recipe is that each basic recipe includes a bunch of variations. It also leaves room for your own variations. There wasn't actually a recipe for banana-chocolate chip muffins, but there were ones for banana almond and chocolate pecan, so I combined them. Since I wanted to make these a little healthier, I substituted some whole wheat flour for some of the all-purpose, although they are by no means a health food. However, they are absolutely worth it.
Not only are these delicious, they are by far the prettiest muffins I've ever seen–better even than bakery muffins. They had a rounded top and were a gorgeous golden brown.

Aren't they gorgeous?


I'm gushing about these like they're my children. 
My babies!


The chocolate chips were perfect in the muffins (if you want lots of them, use a cup instead of 3/4 of a cup). The banana is great also, but you can't mash them or they get lost in the wonderful flavor of the rest of the muffin.
Best. Muffins. EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment