Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bell Pepper Yogurt Harissa Soup

So a couple of days ago, I was looking through Martha Stewart Living and I found this soup recipe. Mom said I could make it for dinner this week, and last night was the night! It's soup-er easy (sorry, couldn't resist) and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. Since it has to chill for at least an hour, it's perfect to prepare earlier in the day if you're super busy (See? I can abstain from making bad puns.)

Bell Pepper Yogurt Harissa Soup


Ingredients:
3 yellow bell peppers
2 teaspoons harissa
2 cups low-fat plain yogurt (I used Whole Foods Organic Nonfat Plain Yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt



Preparation:

Chop peppers into quarters and slice out seeds. Cut quarters into large chunks.
This was very hard to photograph and involved me precariously balancing a knife embedded in the peppers on the edge of the counter and praying it wouldn't fall.
Dump everything in a blender and pureƩ until smooth.
Not all the peppers fit in the blender. The ones on the cutting board were very relieved until I made them the second batch.
Chill for at least an hour in the fridge or for 15 minutes in the freezer if you're pressed for time.


This soup is really good! For me, it was a tad spicy, but I still enjoyed it. My family all liked it (although I wasn't present when they tried it, so they might have just been saying that...)
Actually, never mind. My dad was raving about it; he definitely liked it. The texture never got completely smooth because the blender couldn't get the little tiny bits of pepper and stuff in the harissa (which is a North African chili sauce, by the way. I didn't know what it was either.)
I apologize for the terrible quality of this picture. I shrunk it so you wouldn't have to look at its dreadfulness as much.
If you're not a big fan of spice, I would recommend reducing the harissa to 1-1/2 teaspoons. If you want a slightly creamier soup, use low-fat yogurt like the recipe calls for. I was racing through Whole Foods trying to get these ingredients and everything else on the shopping list based on a glance at the Martha Stewart Living on the newsstand. I'm just lucky I didn't grab chili peppers instead of bell.
These aren't bell peppers.

These definitely aren't bell peppers.


No comments:

Post a Comment