Friday, June 29, 2012

Vegan Banana-Chocolate Soft Serve

My mom first found this recipe on Pintrest, one of the greatest sites ever made. She said we should make it, but we didn't have an opportunity until I learned that one of my friends on the sailing team was allergic to dairy. I can't imagine living without dairy, without ice cream, chocolate, or milk. Since he loves bananas, I decided to make this for him with my Aunt Mona's hot fudge sauce swirled in. I had to modify it, since we don't own half the extracts originally required (butter, almond, and maple) or agave nectar.

Vegan Banana-Chocolate Soft Serve (adapted from sheknows.com):


Ingredients:


5 bananas, cut into small pieces and frozen
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
Being an idiot, I didn't slice the bananas before freezing them.
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
2 tablespoons sprinkles (optional)
As much of Aunt Mona's Hot Fudge Sauce (made with oil) as you want


Instructions:


Put banana chunks into a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides if necessary.
Starting to blend...
A little more...
Almost there...
Perfect!
Add vanilla extract, sugar, and baking soda and pulse until well combined.
The whirlpool of vanilla death!
Add sprinkles (if using) and pulse until distributed evenly. Scoop half into a bowl or container and drizzle fudge sauce over top.
Add other half, pour sauce over top, and swirl with a spoon or spatula.




When I first heard about this, I was positive that it would be terrible. It seemed way too easy–just whirl frozen bananas in a food processor and you get soft serve?
Well, guess what? I was wrong. Yes, it's easy, but no, it isn't terrible. It's actually really good! It tastes very banana-y, being composed mostly of bananas, but if you like bananas and chocolate, it's great. The bittersweet fudge sauce is the perfect complement to the sweet bananas. Don't keep it in the freezer too long, though, or it won't be soft serve anymore. It'll still be delicious, though. The whole sailing team liked it, as did my family.
A perfect guilt-free summer treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment